Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Online Group for Long-Term Type 1s

Yesterday I was contacted by a Type 1 who has had diabetes for 24 years. She lives in Iowa. Her idea - which I think is an excellent one - is to start a group for people who have had Type 1 Diabetes for longer than (for example) 15 years. She says that most of the groups online seem to cater for those who have been newly diagnosed, which is fine, but that none of them cater to those among us who have had it for a long time. Having it for longer can present different issues than to those who are just diagnosed. For a start, we tend to be older, and they tell us that you are more at risk of developing complications the longer you have it.

I have to say I'm blessed - I've had it 34 years, and no major organs have been affected. I've had laser treatment on my eyes, which was successful, and in fact my eyesight is as good as anyone's. I've never needed glasses. However, that's not to say I won't develop complications later. For the first 32 years of my life I was an extremely physically active person - I swam competitively, I played football (soccer), judo, and went hill walking on many weekends. In between this I was also just out running and doing circuit training - well, it beats watching television - and i think that has really benefitted me. But now, I've moved country, I am married with 2 boys, and my woek schedule along with my responsibilities as a father and a husband do not always allow me the freedom to be as active as I once was. I too face the possibility of complications as I grow older, and as I heard someone say recently, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Hear hear.

So, what would we discuss in this group for those who have had Type 1 Diabetes for, say, 15 or more years? Complications and their prevention, definitely. Insurance issues, probably. Experiences, anecdotes, ideas - well, hopefully. From my own life, I know that when I first heard other people with diabetes telling stories that could just have easily have had me at the central role, I knew then that I was not alone with this condition. No longer was I isolated, the fear and frustration began to dissipate. The joy of being in with this crowd of knowledgeable, caring, and fighting-the-same-issues-I-was people just lifted me emotionally and spiritually no end. It was magnificent! I remember the absolute joy of that weekend, and the huge let-down of having to say goodbye to all of these people at the end of the weekend seminar. This was in the days before the prevalence of such tools as the internet.

Now, however, we do have the internet at our disposal, there sitting, waiting, willing to work for us. If used properly, this wonderful tool can offer lifelines, an online support group of sorts, and hope to many people who might otherwise not be able to avail of it. It's there, it's available, it's easy to use. Why don't we?

Check back later for more details about website etc., but be sure this will happen, and if want it to, it can happen for YOU!

No comments: