Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Working Nights at the New Job

Okay..... so I've begun to work nights, and initially my bloods were all over the place - just like my insulin amounts. I started on Monday night with a 25 (yes, a 25!) but I managed to reduce it to a 9 by the end of the shift. I don't know whether this very elevated reading was down to overeating (don't think so), nerves (possibly) or the erratic sleep pattern (possibly) or even a combination of the aforementioned factors (probably). However, it was a very uncomfortable me who began work that night, and a slightly more comfortable me who finished at 7 the following morning.

These night shifts have been really disrupting my sleeping patterns, though, and this also could be playing a part in my bloods ghosting around, going wherever they want (except too low, thankfully). I don't like it. I don't like the fact that I have to do these nights, as my bloods are all over the place, but I'm not sure whether to say anything to my employer, for a number of reasons. If I say anything to them about the job affecting my bloods, would they use that as an excuse to let me go, bearing in mind that I am still on probation and therefore I can be let go without reason during this period. Also, I don't want to hide behind my diabetes, and it would be really easy to say "Oh! It's having an adverse effect on my bloods, therefore I can't do it!" and use that as an excuse not to do the nightshift - welcome as it might seem to me.

There's also the stress. We have been given a bare minimum of exposure to this particular role, and tonight they are3 expecting me to go in and look after all of these people on my own, with very little experience. I can't see the sense of this, as they are willing to pay people overtime, but when I was orientating, I was in a team of 2, and things worked much better. It was also a better way of getting the experience while working with an experienced colleague who could answer questions and point you in the right direction. Tonight will be different. I have to go in, on my own, and look after these people for 8 hours. The stress of that alone is enough to cause my bloods to fly up, which I will have to deal with later on, I'm sure.

Dilemmas, dilemmas.............. I know I have to go to work. My kids, wife and family are depending on me, as am I, and the job involves taking care of people, which also appeals to me, ut can I do it to the expected degree? I pray God will guide and direct me, and also help me to control my bloods so that I am physically and emotionally capable of doing what is required of me properly.

No comments: